The charity ‘Mind’ have launched the #ourbluexmas campaign and throughout December will be sharing peer support resources, opportunities and tips to encourage all 999 staff to look after each other.
They have also published a list of tips which have been compiled with the help of some of their Blue Light Champions which we share below:
Give time to your team – our tips:
- some managers cook breakfast for teams on Christmas Day
- do a team secret santa
- offer to swap shifts for other cultural holidays in exchange
- grab a quick hot drink together
- ask ‘how are you finding working at this time of year?’ and give time to listen to the answer
- check in with someone you’re worried about – a text, email or phone call count too
- add festive decorations to your working space together
- bring in food for you and others to share – if you’re heading out, bring food you can give out before the shift starts
- make a festive playlist together to have on in the background
- write festive cards to other team members, letting them know what you appreciate about them or their work
- say thank you to someone that’s supported you
- get some fresh air and go for a quick chat outside
- eat lunch together on Christmas Day
- wear silly jumpers or onesies on Christmas Day
- if you’re out and about, plan to meet up with others in your area at a set time and place for a team check-in
- share a blog on mental health at Christmas with your team – why not take two minutes to see what they thought when they’d read it?
- share this page of information and support with your team using the link mind.org.uk/ourbluexmas.